Welcome to my blog. Take a look around to learn more about my travels and passion for vegetarian food.

Tasmania Part 2: Bruny Island & Beyond

Tasmania Part 2: Bruny Island & Beyond

We woke up before sunrise on our second day in Tasmania to catch a tour to Bruny Island. Our first stop was the Kettering ferry. This little town is gorgeous and looked so mysterious with the mist and clouds hovering over the hills. We wandered around the pier for a few minutes before hopping onto the ferry to Bruny.

MVIMG_20190303_081101-01 (1).jpeg

We made a few pitstops along our journey to pick up supplies for our picnic before we arrived at Adventure Bay. Unlike the day before, the day was cloudy and cool so we enjoyed our walk around Adventure Bay without getting too close to the water. We snapped a few pictures on the gorgeous beach and enjoyed our little picnic. A cheese tasting from a local cheese factory, bread, and the non vegetarians of the group had fresh oysters.

received_292949114709142-01 (1).jpeg

After our meal, we went in search of the illusive white wallaby. Very few albino wallabies exist in nature but on Bruny Island they are fairly common. It is mostly due to the fact that Bruny Island has an isolated wallaby population leading to a smaller breeding pool and therefore more frequent genetic mutations. Another factor is that wallabies on Bruny Island don’t discriminate against albinos (which is something that aparently happens in normal wallaby populations). Wallabies are actually the largest animal on Bruny Island and have no predators on the island so they have become fairly large pests. We saw countless “wallaby fences” but they almost never worked and we saw wallabies all over the areas they weren’t supposed to be. Eventually we lucked out and spotted our white wallaby across the road.

IMG_20190303_212030_958 (1).jpg

The next stop on our journey was the Bruny Island light house. This is one of the oldest and longest running light houses in Australia. Fortunately, it isn’t currently operating which means we were able to go inside it. The view from the top was incredible. I loved seeing the shape of the cliffs and the water. The craziest thing to think about was that from where we stood, the only land south of us was Antarctica! The light house glass has to be covered when not in use because it can act like a magnifying glass with the sun and start bush fires. I also learned that light houses have specific blinking patterns that indicate your location.


A million pictures later, we picked up lunch at a local restaurant. We had vegetable pies which were filled with beets and SO good. After lunch, we stopped at a place called the neck. The neck is a natural landmass which connects North and South Bruny. Lots of penguins nest here and they have tunnels going under the ground for the penguins to get out to sea without getting hit by cars.

MVIMG_20190303_150613-01 (1).jpeg

Our final stops in Bruny Island were at a couple of local shops where we had chocolate and honey tastings and also stopped by the cheese shop from earlier in the day for last minute purchases. With our stomachs (and bags) full, we caught the ferry back and made the drive to Hobart.

Wanting to make the most of our last (and only) full day in Tasmania, we had our tour guide drop us off at the Royal Botanic Gardens so we could fit in a quick visit before they closed. The gardens are incredible and have some fantastic views of the city. We got a little carried away taking pictures and soaking it all up and didn’t quite make it out by closing time. We arrived back at the entrance to locked gates. With the fear of spending the night in the botanic gardens in our minds, we climbed up the wall and then walked along the wall and jumped over the fence to get out. We felt a little stupid when a few minutes later the gate opened and someone in a truck drove out letting out the stragglers at the same time.


We finished out our day by walking the 30 minutes back to our hotel. As we wandered we came across a huge flock of Eastern Rosellas and enjoyed the sunset from the park. Once we were back in our hotel we polished off our leftovers from the night before and called it a night early.


Our final day in Tasmania, was a short one. We packed our bags, enjoyed a final breakfast, and headed into the city to catch a bus to Mount Wellington. The drive to the top of the mountain was long and winding but the view from the top was spectacular. We considered making a stop on the way back down for a hike, but we were both pretty cautious when it came to gettting to the airport on time so instead we opted for a walk by the harbour and one final gelato before returning to our hotel to grab our bags and get to the airport.


Flying out of Tasmania gave us more opportunities to oggle at the gorgeous mountains and sea below. In 2 short hours we made it back to Sydney. I decided to take advantage of my priority pass to grab dinner in the airport before we left and so we stopped for tapas. Turns out my $72 of free food from priority pass goes a surprisingly long way and we continued ordering dishes far past when we were full which I brought home and ate through the rest of the week. Also, the food was fantastic. We headed out with leftovers in hand and attempted to get ourselves an Uber. Somehow we got lost (don’t ask me how) and ended up outside in the departures area where we caught a spectacular sunset over the planes which was the absolute perfect way to end our trip.

MVIMG_20190304_163055-01 (1).jpeg

Overall Tasmania is beautiful, and one weekend isn’t nearly enough time to do it justice but I’m so glad I got the opportunity to see just a tiny piece of this special part of Australia.

A Year of Goal Setting

A Year of Goal Setting

Weight Loss Thoughts: 50 pounds down!

Weight Loss Thoughts: 50 pounds down!